THINGS TO DO IN JANUARY

Wednesday 4 January 2017


How many New Year posts does the blogging world need? In the words of Cady Heron - the limit does not exist. The holiday blues kicked in for all of 3 hours before I realised I'm actually quite relieved to be back to business as usual. I mean, how many cheeseboards can one eat? With a new job and holiday just 8 weeks away, I've stepped into 2017 with the full intention of putting all of 2016 behind me and excited for all that is on the horizon. BRING IT ON. I always believe January is the time of out with the old and in with the new. That small changes make a big impact. Between minimalism, 1000s of lifestyle bloggers and hygge (which is a trend I've been sporting for years - by accident), there are lots of different methods out there for you to kick start your year to change your mind, body and soul and all that jazz. Instead, I've carved out my own 'rituals' so thought I'd give you my two cents on what I've been doing or will be adopting in January.

1. Make One Goal That's NOT Career/Money Driven - In my last post, I explained why I've made no New Years Resolutions this year. I'm excited to see where 2017 takes me, rather than try to dictate every single aspect of my life. Regardless of whether you've made zero or 20 New Years Resolutions, I think it's important to make one that isn't career driven or financially fuelled. Even if it's to take up a new hobby, read a certain number of books or practise more self care, the importance of having a small goal to work at can be just as fulfilling. For my goal, I'm reading 30 books this year and expanding my cooking skills. 

2. Declutter - Captain Obvious here but I'm pretty sure after the festive period, a good decluttering is for sure OVERDUE for most of us. So far I've tackled my kitchen cupboards, my toiletries, my makeup bag and next up on the hit list is my wardrobe. Look at 2017 as a fresh slate. I've got a bag of tins I know I won't use that are heading straight to my local food bank so not only can clearing out free up space, you can also use the opportunity to give to those less fortunate that you. If your a self confessed hoarder, check out my review of The Life Changing Magic Of Tidying. It helped me overcoming my need to cling onto everything I owned and I've reaped the benefits since giving this a read. 

3. Evaluate Your Style - This is something I'm considering even when glancing at my wardrobe. I feel like I have a mountain of clothes but zero outfits. I bet a few of you will be reading this like 'guuuuurl, I gotcha'. Have a look at your wardrobe and try to work out how many outfits you can create. From the items you've not manage to incorporate, think about the last time you wore it. If it's been over 6 months and it holds no sentimental value, consider giving it to a good home either via eBay, Depop or by donating to charity. One thing I want to do is have more transitional pieces. Working from home most of 2016 means I haven't had to invest in any workwear because hello, PJ's have been my uniform. But sometimes, following a capsule wardrobe (if you have the patience and willpower to do it!) can be great for making sure you have lots of interchangeable outfits for work, day and night. I love this piece by Who What Wear that is filled with tips on how to build one.

4. Invest in some new pieces - Take advantage of the sales and invest in some new clothes - ones you know will go far in your wardrobe. I've recently stocked up on some new basics - plain tees, plain jeans, crisp new shirts and some new trousers for my upcoming new job role. You don't have to spend a crazy amount of money - just purchase small, everyday items to give your wardrobe a refresh. 

5. Have a digital detox - I have a personal battle with the digital world. Firstly, Digital is my job so it can't be avoided. Secondly, my blog is my main hobby so I have to spend a fair bit of time online. In reality though, I'd love to just completely get rid of social media, only use my phone for the purposes it was invented and lead a digital free life. Sadly, it's never going to happen but I think we can all put our hands in the air and admit that we perhaps rely on our mobile phones a little too much. Why not apply a 'no electronic devices allowed' an hour before bed rule or at least one night a week, have a mobile phone free night? I think it's important to have a break away from your phone. If you're brave enough to fully embrace it, be sure to give It's Time To Log Off a visit. They have tons of useful tips, information and testimonials for you to read through. I hope one day I can do the full 30 days but right now, I'm sticking with one night a week.

These are 5 relatively small steps and I'm no lifestyle guru but I do feel better for adapting all of the above into kick starting my 2017. I feel more productive, I've managed to free up space and I'm looking forward to switching off digitally at least once a week and spending time with my other half or family without refreshing Instagram or tagging my friends in memes on Facebook. Did you enjoy my New Year series? What have you done to kick start your 2017? As always, I'd love to hear your thoughts below or you can tweet/IG me at whatamydid. Thanks for reading. 

Post a Comment

Latest Instagrams

© WHAT AMY DID. Design by FCD.